Recommendations for storage of wood pellets, Irish edition. Download PDF (pdf 2,176Kb)
The original guideline was produced in German by the German Wood Fuel and Pellet Association (DEPV), and Pieter Kofman has now translated it into English. The guideline is aimed at the private builder who wishes to construct pellet storage facilities. The document is 30 pages long and is easy to read with good use of images and diagrams. The guideline includes the following sections:
• Certified fuel
• Storage of wood pellets – This includes the location of the storage room, accessibility of the pellet storage silo and the filling operation.
• Purpose-built storage facilities – detailed information is provided on the requirements of purpose-built storage systems.
• Construction examples of purpose-built silo systems – This chapter covers aboveground mountings, silos for below-ground storage and examples of storage systems.
• Homemade storage systems – Detailed information is included that allows one to investigate alternative homemade storage methods.
• Construction examples of pellet silos – Four different construction examples are described.
• Measuring systems for silos – Two different methods are briefly explained.
• Fire protection measures at the silo – This is mostly explained through the use of diagrams that explain what actions need to be carried out.
A CD with the two installer files can be obtained from COFORD at a small handling cost of €25 - please contact email@example.com. The offer is only valid for persons in the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland. For people from outside Ireland who would like to use the software, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. If you have any questions, please ask Pieter D Kofman.
COFORD Connects Notes are easy to read short publications on a limited subject. Only those Notes a that relate to wood energy are listed here, otherwise consultwww.coford.ie.
Click HERE for a list of pdf links to COFORD Connects notes on various aspects of wood energy
Click HERE for links to publications and reports on wood energy, produced by COFORD
COFORD Connects notes (click on name for full text):
- Establishment of Short Rotation Coppice seen from a harvesting point of view.(pdf 845Kb)
- Harvesting of Short Rotation Coppice Willow. (pdf 339Kb)
- Storage of Short Rotation Coppice Willow fuel. (pdf 305Kb)
- Wood as a renewable source of energy (pdf 154Kb)
- Harvesting wood for energy from early first thinnings. (pdf 325Kb)
- Harvesting wood for energy from later thinnings. (pdf 151Kb)
- Firewood. (pdf 275Kb)
- Quality wood chip fuel. (pdf 140Kb)
- Ordering and receiving wood chip fuel. (pdf 122Kb)
- Delivery and storage of wood chip fuel. (pdf 625Kb)
- The production of wood pellets. (pdf 738Kb)
- Simple ways to check wood pellet quality. (pdf 99Kb)
- Guidelines for designing a wood pellet storage facility. (pdf 680Kb)
- Estimated woodflow for the Republic of Ireland for 2006. (pdf 855Kb)
- Roundwood supply, wood energy and related issues in the UNECE region.(pdf 165Kb)
- An overview of the Irish wood-based biomass sector. (pdf 456Kb)
- Gasifier-type firewood fuelled boilers. (pdf 142Kb)
- An outline of the ForestEnergy series of COFORD Connects notes (pdf 800Kb)
- Standard shortwood harvesting of conifer first thinnings for 3 m pulpwood and industrial roundwood (pdf 226Kb)
- Integrated harvesting of conifer first thinnings for 4.3 m energy wood and industrial roundwood (pdf 441Kb)
- Whole-tree harvesting of conifer first thinnings for energy wood chip production (pdf 274Kb)
- Producing firewood from conifer first thinnings (pdf 220Kb)
- Whole-tree harvesting of broadleaf first thinning for energy wood chip production (pdf 425Kb)
- Production of wood chip from premature clearfelling of lodgepole pine on cutaway peat (pdf 270Kb)
- Forest storage and seasoning of conifer and broadleaf whole trees (pdf 252Kb)
- Storage and seasoning of conifer and broadleaf firewood (pdf 229Kb)
- Long term storage and seasoning of conifer energy wood (pdf 389Kb)
- Units, conversion factors and formulae for wood for energy (pdf 444Kb)
- Harvesting birch woodland on cutaway peat for wood chip production (pdf 206Kb)
- Producing firewood from broadleaf first thinnings (pdf 198Kb)
- Whole-tree harvesting of softwood first thinnings for energy wood chip production, chemical thinning (pdf 312Kb)
- A synthesis and comparison of forest energy harvesting methods in conifer plantations (pdf 136Kb)
- A synthesis and comparison of forest energy harvesting methods in broadleaves (pdf 233Kb)
- An overview of the Irish wood-based biomass sector in 2007-2008 (pdf 141Kb)
- Preview of European standards for solid biofuels (pdf 182Kb)
- An overview of the 2009 UNECE Timber Committee Meeting (pdf 161Kb)
- The greenhouse gas balance of peatland forest (pdf 365Kb)
- Handling and using wood fuels in a safe manner with regard to Carbon Monoxide (CO). (pdf 347Kb)
- Woodflow and biomass use on the island of Ireland 2009. (pdf 446Kb)
- Woodflow and biomass use on the island of Ireland 2010. (pdf 504Kb)
- Woodflow and forest-based biomass energy use on the island of Ireland (2011) (pdf 564Kb)
- Carbon sequestration in Irish forests (pdf 312Kb)
- Wood as a renewable source of energy (pdf 154Kb)
- Woodflow and forest-based biomass energy use on the island of Ireland (2012) - revised September 2013 (pdf 816Kb)
- New! Getting the most out of your Firewood (pdf 212Kb) .
- New! Calorific value of Irish woodfuel (pdf 259Kb) .
- New! Ash content of Irish woodfuel (pdf 266Kb) .
Harvesting and Processing Forest Biomass for Energy Production in Ireland. The ForestEnergy 2006 programme. (pdf 2,175Kb) Pieter D. Kofman and Tom Kent
A review of small-scale harvesting systems in use worldwide and their potential application in Irish forestry
Authors: Fionan Russell and Donal Mortimer. On the basis of an international review, this report presents a number of generic harvesting systems and component operations suitable for use in the harvesting of small-scale forestry in Ireland.Download pdf (pdf 859Kb)
Forecast of Roundwood Production from the Forests of Ireland 2001-2015
Authors: Gerhardt Gallagher and Joe O'Carroll (published 2001). A number of information gaps were identified within the industry, including the lack of an up-to-date roundwood production forecast, from state and private forests, both north and south. The work reported in this publication aims to fill this information gap. Download pdf. (pdf 114Kb)
COFORD Strategic Study: Maximising the Potential of Wood Use for Energy Generation in Ireland
COFORD convened and facilitated a strategic group formed from the saw milling and forestry sectors which appointed Electrowatt-Ekono, an international consultancy specialising in biomass and energy, to carry out a strategic study in the area of wood use for energy in Ireland. The assignment was performed in partnership with the Tipperary Institute, an integrated education and development institute established by the Irish Government who focused on the Irish specific issues including the national energy balance and the wood potential. The report can be downloaded here. (pdf 2,032Kb)
Networking and Knowledge Transfer Support Initiative Reports
Billet harvesting, drying and processing of willow short rotation coppice for the wood energy market in the UK (pdf 477Kb) - G. O'Sullivan
EUBIONET II International Training Programme, Joensuu, Finland 3 - 7 October 2005.Wood fuel production for small-scale use and district heating plants (pdf 774Kb) - Bernard Carey
Report on work experience in a wood fuel testing centre in Denmark (pdf 1,225Kb) - Sean Kelly
DVD now available - Harvesting and Processing Forest Biomass for Energy Production in Ireland - The Forest Energy Programme
Solutions for extracting wood for energy from first thinnings of conifer and broadleaf plantations in Ireland.